Monday, August 13, 2007

"You said it wasn't art / So now we're gonna rip you apart"

Recently at Jefitoblog I wrote about what it was like to be young, white, and rap-friendly in the late '80s and early '90s, when hip-hop began its invasion of the mainstream. I just remembered that in 1987, when I was in fifth grade, I wrote a rap song called "I'm Great." It's a cryin' shame that I can't regurgitate the lyrics of the verses for you, but I do remember the chorus:

I'm great and I know it
I'm not afraid to show it
I'm great and I know it
This time I won't blow it

"Know," "show," and "blow" rhyme, see? Rapping is easy. Anyone can do it. Especially 11-year-old white kids who were introduced to it one year earlier thanks to MTV, as opposed to mid-'70s block parties in the Bronx hosted by DJ Kool Herc.

I do appreciate Bob Odenkirk's tribute to my rap songwriting skills in the following Mr. Show sketch. Big ups, Big O.



Skip ahead to the 3:50 mark if you only want to see Odenkirk rap. But if you decide to view the whole thing and then want to see the first half of this two-part sketch, click here.

2 comments:

  1. his rap reminds me of rap cat!

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xr1K2du4nJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was polite and responded to all comments on this blog a decade ago. Shame on me.

      Thanks for the YouTube link, Kate! I was a big fan of Keyboard Cat's body of work in the aughts.

      Delete