Friday, May 2, 2008

creation

XTC's Andy Partridge on the demo version of "Holly Up on Poppy" (courtesy of the blog Timedoor and, presumably, the liner notes of Partridge's Fuzzy Warbles 3, which is why I'm leaving the punctuation intact):

"When [my daughter] Holly rode her rocking horse 'Poppy', she would say 'Daddy, I like its Poppy song'. That song was the low rhythmic rumble and high un-oiled squeak of its moving parts. I tried to capture that in this demo from 11th of May 1990. Of course I failed but isn't that the curse and motivation of all art? To bottle the unbottleable. I also have a rocking horse fixation, but you knew that."


Frank Gehry on the creative process, from Sydney Pollack's 2006 documentary, Sketches of Frank Gehry:

Pollack: "Is starting hard?"

Gehry: "You know it is. I don't know what you do when you start, but I clean my desk, I make a lot of stupid appointments that I make sound important. Avoidance, delay, denial. I'm always scared that I'm not gonna know what to do. It's a terrifying moment. And then when I start I'm always amazed: 'So ... that wasn't so bad.'"

4 comments:

  1. "Endings are elusive, middles are nowhere to be found, but worst of all is to begin, to begin, to begin."

    --Donald Barthelme, "The Dolt"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for linking to Timedoor! I've added you to my Links list.

    pAx,
    dOn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added yours to mine. I've been reading Timedoor for two years now; I don't know why I didn't link to it eariler.

    ReplyDelete